Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Last Unicorn

A little while back, I purchased some cheap Schleich knockoffs at Kmart... One of them was the Hanoverian Stallion (#13649). The thing is, while at a different Kmart store, I ended up buying the same model twice (it had a different coat colour, so I thought it was a totally different model). "No worries!" I thought... I'll turn the second one into a unicorn. I did a fair amount of adding and subtracting to this model.

See what I mean? It IS the Hanoverian stallion by Schleich,
but the little weasels gave it a palomino paint job, so I got confused.
I straightened its roman nose profile, trimmed back (and unattached) the tail from the body, cloven the hooves, and added a flowing mane, goatee, fetlocks hair. a tufted lion tail, and of course... a horn.
Less horsey... More a mythical combo of horse/goat/lion. 
Here he is, all primed up. 
I'm using Vallejo paints, as well as Liquitex titanium white for extra punchy highlights.
It's a slow layering process.
Finally finished! I didn't want him to have a grey, albino or cremello colour, but a bit of all the above. I remember reading "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle when I was in highschool (YEEEEAAAARS ago!) and it described the fabled animal has having "a coat the colour of sea foam." I think it worked out okay. The photos doesn't show it well, but the horn has golden iridescent hues to it, and so do the hooves (I know... Kinda "kitschy", but I like it.) I had lots of fun making this one. I had great inspirational music to work to... "Unicorne" by Faun (my favourite band!) 




4 comments:

  1. Cool ��, looks great. Awesome to see the process of his modifications. What did you use to create to ad ons? How do you sculpt with it and attach it? I'm thinking of repairing my dad's chess set, but not sure how to go about it?

    Ariel xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks matey! :) I used Selley's epoxy putty (link below.) It works a treat, but it dries extremely FAST, so you gotta work quickly with it. It's also very sticky. If you're thinking of gluing pieces back together and reshaping them afterwards, that would do the trick. I "blopped on" pieces of epoxy and shaped them roughly, and then sanded and sculpted them back. Selley's Epoxy Putty

      Delete
  2. Thank you, great, think I'll go to the hardware store and get some tomorrow and give it a go.

    Maybe I'll test it on something other than one of dad's chess pieces first :-) .

    Ariel xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I did (tested it out on a scrap piece first.) That's when I found out how quickly this stuff sets! Don't go to the toilet, don't answer the phone and don't go make yourself a cup of tea once you start. It goes off like a rocket.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)