Sunday, March 19, 2017

Jaguar remodelling

If a leopard can't change its spots,
can a jaguar?
I've recently become addicted to collecting Schleich, Papo, Safari Ltd. and Collecta wildlife figurines (mostly the wild cats collection). As much as I find them anatomically proportionate and accurate, the paint job can sometimes come across as rushed or downright botched.

Turned a whiter shade of pale.
So... I decided to attempt repainting some of them. I wasn't sure if I should just slap some gesso on and go from there, or if I should remove the previous layer of paint first. I decided to go the removal route. It was tricky, as the only thing that will dissolve acrylic paint is nail polish remover (or acetone). This can also melt plastic and rubber, so I had to be extra careful on how much I used and how hard I rubbed.

Much better!
After a few hours of carefully rubbing the paint off with cotton buds and a small hog hair brush, I finally striped my jaguar down to her birthday suit. I then proceeded to slowly repaint it with more lifelike details and accuracy. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.
Kitty is on the prowl... Watch out!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks so much better than the original paint job. I've got a friend who collects these and would appreciate your effort. 😊 Thank you for the anniversary wishes! (You have a great memory!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luv. I had fun repainting the lil' fella... But my eyes were seeing spots when I was finished. LOL!
      You're very welcome, my friend. :) I hope you have a lovely day with R. xo

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)