Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Travelling with Freya

The Norse Goddess Freya is my main patron deity. I've always had a permanent altar dedicated to her in my household, but when I am travelling with my husband, I do miss the ability to sit in contemplation, meditation and gratitude at my altar. So... I decided to make a small, portable shrine to my beloved Goddess. Every bit of it is quite symbolic; a book shape (for knowledge), pig skin leather for the cover (she was also known as "Syd" which means "sow" in old Norse), linen (flax is one of her plants), blue, green, red, and gold colours, flowers, the ocean. I'm happy with it... I think she is too! :)




I finally found some use for that little flat stone I found.

So tiny!! Nearly destroyed my eyes on this project (and my sanity!!)


After much "retouching", the statues are finished.

Suhweeeeet! :)



6 comments:

  1. Hi Carole,

    Awesome!! The travel shrine is so cool! I'm sure Freya will be very happy with it.

    Ariel xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fearysis. :) Freya is very particular... She'll let me know if she doesn't like it (like... something getting broken or catching on fire within the first day of use. LOL!) ;D xo

      Delete
  2. That is amazing! Love the painted "meadow" and arches, the inset candles and the tiny statuary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B! :) T'was a lot of fiddly work! :)

      Delete
  3. Forgot to ask - what will you use the stones for in the front (or are they for decoration only)? They look like an altar, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of both, actually. It's part of the decor, but I can also use it as an offering altar for small things (flowers, shells, etc...)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)