Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Mini rune set

Fifteen years ago, I made my cherished wooden rune set from an old jarrah handrail. To this day, I still have it, and it is my go-to set when doing runic readings. But as much as I adore it, it does have it's drawbacks; for one, it is quite large and cumbersome to travel with. Also, being made of wood, it can cause dramas when going through customs. Consequently, I always leave it at home when we go on holidays. Many times have I found myself on vacation, wishing I had my runes with me (I even had one person at our resort, request a reading from me.)

The other day, after I finished my little Freya statue, I had lots of leftover paper-maché clay. I figured I could use it to make a smaller travelling set. Runes are traditionally made from wood, so technically... You could say that mini set is also made of wood (paper really... With a whole heap of other binders, but hey... It's still wood-based.) ;) It's surprisingly solid, much like ceramic, but half the weight. I engraved the symbols with a tiny chisel. As for the stain, I used a combination of acrylic binder and natural red ochre pigment I obtained by crushing rocks I found at the Redcliffe peninsula.

5 comments:

  1. You crushed rocks to make the pigment to paint them with?! My artist-self is in humble admiration of the way your artist-self uses traditional methods. :) That little set is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! :) You know me... I like using natural stuff. Tradition states that runes were reddened with blood... Err, I just wasn't keen on that idea. LOL! :D Seeing that I had some rocks from Redcliffe, and knowing the history of the area, I thought it would make a nice substitute.

      Delete
    2. Gulp...glad you just used the stones, then! :D

      Delete
  2. Hi matey, love the new little runes, great size for travelling. They remind me a little of the ones I used to make using DAS. I used to use red or gold paint to colour the rune, but once, when making a wand carved with runes I used the resin Dragons Blood, it worked well. Looks like the crushed rocks worked very well indeed! ��

    Hope all is well with you,

    Ariel xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey matey! Hope you're doing okay.
      Wow! Runes written in dragon's blood sounds like an awesome magickal combo! Must've been one hell of a wand. By the way... I still have the apple branch one you made for me. ;) xo

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)