Monday, August 29, 2016

Barter bargains

Old, broken down and used
as a scratching post by the locals.
Since my husband and I are soon going on holiday, I am once more in a total housecleaning frenzy. I am scrubbing things that haven't seen the colour of a rag in... years!!! Shameful, I know, but unlike my sister, I am no where near OCD when it comes to cleanliness. So this weekend, I started addressing our dining room... A place we rarely use, for more reasons than one. One of the main reason is that although the table is still quite functional, the chairs are... Well... Quite dodgy. They are over 30 years old and made from very flimsy materials. While I was cleaning, I did the silly thing of stepping up on one of the chairs and I heard an all mighty crack, I nearly went through the seat! I told my husband, this just wasn't safe, especially while having an elderly house-sitter staying over to look after our cats. We had to try and fix them, or they had to go and we got new ones.

Refurbished like new!
After countless hours of mucking around and attempting to fix these post-antiques dinosaurs, I gave up. Luckily, my husband (who was also on a long overdue cleaning stint) was going down to our local rubbish tip with a full load of refuse and, amongst other things, some very functional items we were giving away to the recycling station (an old t.v., some gym equipment as well as a few electronic devices.) The fella that helped us unload the salvageable at the recycling plant was very helpful. He told us all about Brisbane's recycling project and a little light went off in our heads... Let's go see if we can't scrounge up a few chairs for our dining room. Well guess what... We found some! And a bargain, at 5$ a pop!

They were a bit wobbly but we managed to fix them quite easily with a few screws. As for the few stains, I took care of them with some Windex and elbow grease. Yup! You read that right... Windex! The material is microsuede which is a type of vinyl, easily cleaned with some Windex Glass and Surface cleaner. They are incredibly comfortable too! Initially, I thought "why would anyone toss out these fantastic chairs?" But then I realised... People could say the same thing about all the stuff WE took at the recycling station. I guess it's true what they say... Someone else's trash is someone else's treasure.

Only 15$ for the set of three... What a bargain!

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, that is a bargain, and I love the blue color! And now that I'm older, I would definitely pick the chair with a full back on it for back support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, my friend! It's nice to be able to lean back into them after a nice meal. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)