Monday, April 18, 2016

Orokl

About a month ago, while cleaning out one of my many "stashing" drawers, I came across my collection of stone, shells, bits and bobs I've collected from the many places I've visited in the last 20 years or so. I sat down to have a look through this ever increasing collection; it was like reconnecting with old friends one hasn't seen in years... It felt so familiar! Each stone and shell has a story and, dare I say, a personality. The collection sat in my studio, next to my art table for many weeks... I kept coming back to it, over, and over, and over again. The pull was as strong as ever! I wondered what the heck this was all about. Then, a few days ago, I had a dream, and it all became clear... An oracle (or as I have nicknamed it, "The Orokl".) I won't go into a whole heap of details because this post would turn into a novel, but each stone has different meanings, each quadrant represent certain area of life, and each symbols tie in with the meaning of the stones... But nothing is written in stone (bad pun, I know.) It's all incredibly intuitive in nature.

Today, I made the bag/throw cloth that I saw in my dream. The 13 stones are kept within the bag, and once it is fully open, it becomes the casting cloth for the readings. The circle is roughly 33cm (13") in diametre. I used a piece of chamois leather, but I didn't like the garish pale yellow colour of it, so I distressed it with some wood stain and made it look like a battered piece of leather. I use a carmine coloured marker for the symbols to make it look like old, dried blood. I like the look of it... Very primitive! My husband reckons I've been playing too much Far Cry Primal... It's getting to my head. LOL! :D Perhaps he's right!



2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Did you paint the petroglyph-like figures on the leather? I'm guessing the sections have to do with masculine, feminine, life and death?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soulsis! I used a marker to draw them (a dark red colour). Ya know... I hadn't considered that aspect (life/death, male/female), but now that you mentioned it... Yeah, I can most definitely see it! :) If I get a chance, I'll try to put up a more elaborate post about the system.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)