Sunday, December 20, 2015

Meet Yuki

Remember THIS post, back in 2014? Well... Today, hubby and I went for a walk at that same lovely place we always go to, and guess who was there... Yup! That same little Norwegian Fjord horse I saw when I first started my Viking Lenormand Deck. He is such a lovely little horse! I couldn't help myself this time around and I walked up to the owner and asked her politely if this little fella was indeed a Norwegian Fjord. "Why yes... He is! You know of them?" she said. You bet I do! I've always loved these tough little dun coloured beauties with the two-tone crested mane. There is something wild and primitive about them that appeals to me. They remind me of the Przewalski horse, or those that were painted on the Lascaux cave walls. The lady was pleased as punch to talk to me about "her boy", as she affectionately called him. From what she described to me, their temperament is as I had expected; strong willed, tough as nails, fiercely independent, highly intelligent, slow to mature, and totally lovable and devoted. When I lived back in Canada, an equestrian friend of mine had described them to me as being more "cat-like" compared to other breeds of horses who are more "dog-like". It is no wonder then, that I have such a fondness for them; these Scandinavian beauties have retained a touch of wildness in their looks and character that strikes a deep cord within me.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Matey, beautiful horse and lovely story. He does look like he is strong and like he has retrained a bit of wildness. ��

    Ariel xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner told me he's a little bulldozer. LOL! :D If he wants to go somewhere and you're not strong enough to hold him, you're gonna get dragged around like a waterskier.

      Delete
  2. What a beauty! Is his mane naturally colored that way? Just looking at that gleam in his eye, I can imagine him saying, "Don't even think of calling me a pet!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's how their mane grows, soulsis. In certain individuals, that dark ridge keeps extending down their back to the tail (dorsal stripe). Some even have light zebra markings on their legs! Primitive remnants, I guess. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)