Friday, July 03, 2015

Kids nowadays would struggle!

I went for another long walk this morning. I had used the Google Map distance calculator to try and aim for an 8 km walk, but it turned out to be only 7.47 km. :( That's barely more than my previous walk along the park. It's just not worth it... It's dangerous, having to cross so many roads, and the traffic noise is deafening. Why am I aiming at an 8 km walk, you might ask? A few days ago, hubby and I watched a bio movie about the late, great B.B King. When he was a young child (12 yro) he had to walk 5 miles to school every day! That's 8 km to school and 8 km back... EVERY DAY! For a 12 yro, this must've been incredibly demanding, and on top of that, he had to get up early to work the cotton fields. I just have a really hard time wrapping my brain around this! Kids nowadays have it quite easy... They'd struggle like mad if they were all of a sudden forced to walk this far to go to school.

2 comments:

  1. I think the progression from rural communities to industrialized cities has made such an impact. Years ago, the community - extended families and neighbors - had a hand in looking after children. Now it is rare for anyone to live close to their family or to even know their neighbor. People are afraid to let kids walk and wander now (with good reason). I think our societies have caused part of the problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad. :( I still remember walking home from school while growing up... These are some of my fondest memories I have of my childhood. I'd dawdle around and check out all the different trees, critters and bugs (this was near wooded areas... That would be considered a real big no-no nowadays.) I guess overpopulation has more than one downside. You'd think with so many people and eyes watching that it would actually be a safer place. :/

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)