Saturday, November 22, 2014

Divinatory compass

Here's my latest woodworking project I've just finished (at the expense of re-inflaming my RSI). It's a divinatory compass. The faceplate is made of Euro beech, casing is Australian red cedar, hinge is brass, and the needle is one solid piece of cow bone. It's incredibly thin (1mm - 1/32") and was a nightmare to carve without breaking. The symbols have been pyroetched into the wood. Diameter closed is 60mm (2 3/8") and thickness is 27mm (1").





2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that turned out fabulous! I can't believe you did all that by hand (though I'm sure your aching hands, wrists and arms would say otherwise). Can't wait to see how you use it. Now go rest your body woman, and tell your muse you need a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soulsis! I did tell my muse to go take a hike... I think she got scared. I feel so lethargic and uncreative today! LOL! I feel like I'm gonna sleep myself into a coma!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)