Thursday, February 27, 2014

Monarch

After feeling "bleh" for several days, I finally started working on my painting again today. The photo doesn't really show it, but the bottom half of the butterfly and its wings have a 3D look to them, due to all the modelling paste I used. I want to give the effect that the butterfly is emerging from the painting, just as it is from its chrysalis. The wings aren't fully unfurled and are slightly wrinkled. This is a Wanderer butterfly, otherwise known as a Monarch in America. This artwork bears a lot of personal meaning to me.


2 comments:

  1. I love the way the chrysalis is faded into the background, and I actually can see the 3D effect when I expand the picture! Glad you're feeling a bit better - can't think of a better representation of that than this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks soulsis! :) I will spruce up the chrysalis a bit more when I get around to it, but not too much... It'll still be translucent and shiny, but a bit more apparent (like a milky white coat over it).
    I work funny... I'm all over the shop when I paint... A bit here, a bit there! Use to drive my teachers batty! LOL! They'd cringe when they saw me start working details in an area and I haven't even finish laying down all the colours. Oh well... That's how I work! I guess in an A.D.D. way of painting. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)