Saturday, April 06, 2013

New appreciation

I have a new appreciation for abstract art and cubism. I've just finished a project that involves a bit of both. We started with natural shapes (in our case, bones and skulls). It's a bit more involved than what I thought! Here's Wikipedia's definition of what cubism and abstract art is, respectively

... In Cubist artwork, objects are analyzed, broken up and reassembled in an abstracted form—instead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context.

... Abstraction indicates a departure from reality in depiction of imagery in art. This departure from accurate representation can be only slight, or it can be partial, or it can be complete.

Here are the steps I took in producing my diptych .

Firstly., I did a monochromatic painting of a cow skull.
Then I did a negative space painting of the snout.
And a complementary colour painting of only the shadowed areas

Then I did two charcoal drawings of the cow skull and human skeleton from many angles.

Once this was all done, I tore up all the paintings and did a collage with the bits and pieces. I took a photo of the montage.


Then, with a little bit of modern technology (Photoshop) I did a few alteration with some filters, fixed the contrast and saturation, etc... And this is what I ended up with.\


I then cropped (zoomed in) on a few sections. I settled my choice on two, opting to make a diptych. After modifying a few areas of colours and whatnot, this is what my paintings look like.


It's a big process and it gave me a new appreciation of what's involved in making an abstract / cubist painting. My work is very Piet Mondrian-like, with its black lines and primary colours. Even though abstract isn't really my cup'o'tea, I rather enjoyed making this. I hope my teacher likes it too! :)


4 comments:

  1. Geez, you have been busy! And yes, now I can see the new posts! :D I'm impressed with all the work behind the abstract art, though I'm not sure I quite understand it yet. I suppose actually doing it would help with the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised (and quite shocked) at how much fun it was to do this project. The best way to describe abstract/cubism is like this: you start from something real and tangible, you deconstruct it, and then you reconstruct it into a new product. It still has the organic lines and essence of skull and bones, but it's not skulls and bones anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, let's try this comment again after the first cup of coffee... Your description of Cubism/Abstract is beginning to seep into my dense brain and make more sense now.
    I figured out the problem with seeing your updates was with blogger. I had linked you to my blog where I could tell every morning if you had updated. I don't know why, but it quit showing updates. I went in and deleted your link then added it again, and now it seems to be working fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaah! Now I get it! :) I also rely on my blogroll to see "who's updated what".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)