Thursday, September 13, 2012

A taste of Celtic

Here's the second drawing of my homework project. I decided to use an old painting I never got around to finish as the backdrop. I had started this painting back in 1997, when I was totally enamored with anything remotely Celtic. It's O'Brien's castle, on the cliffs of Moher in County Clare, Ireland. I never got around to finishing it, so I decided it would make a great medium to draw my bottles... With a special emphasis on the Irish whiskey. ;) It's a VERY rough sketch made in dry pastel. Took me just under 90 minutes to finish. The actual painting is gouache (if memory serves, which hasn't been in these last few years!)

Other news... At the risk of jinxing myself badly, my next BIG personal project involves building myself a Celtic folk harp. Yup! After my old, cheap, daggy one caved in several years ago, I was "harpless" and I felt the void. You could say my "harplessness" left me "heartless", so I decided enough was enough! I looked into buying myself a new one (a decent one this time), but the prices are just too damn prohibitive. I'd have to sell a kidney to buy one in Oz, and if I was to import one from overseas, I'd have to sell a few more body parts on top of said kidney. Since I have the know-how and all the toys required, I thought my best option was to make myself one. It would be an interesting learning adventure. I could personalize my harp the way I want it (design, size, number of strings, choice of wood, etc...) Unfortunately, I am short of time due to house duties, school work and an increasingly busy social life. I might have to keep this project on the back-burner for a while until things settle down a bit. I am dying to get it underway, though! :)

Focus on Finnlaigh Irish whiskey bottle, flanked by port keg,
Maraska slivovitz behind, and Jagermeister on the right.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this one. It's like the whiskey is dreaming of being home again, lol!
    I'm sure your muse will force you to find some time soon, slave driver that she is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I never thought if it this way! :D Good analogy, soulsis!!
    Oooooooh! I am already scheming on how I'm gonna get this project started. This so-called "homework" I am currently working on isn't due until the 8th of October... That's after a two-week school holiday... Guess what I'll be doing then? ;) Not working on the homework, I can assure you of that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)