Tuesday, December 20, 2011

And the verdict is...

Just came back from my doc... Verdict... Gastric reflux and thyroid nodule, two seemingly unrelated problems. It doesn't rain for me... It bloody pours cats and dogs!! Apparently, reflux can cause a whole heap of problems. If it bypasses the lower stomach sphincter muscle, it sits in the esophagus and you get heartburn, but if the issue is with the upper sphincter muscle, it can spill into the larynx, irritating the trachea, causing coughing spasms, breathing issues, etc... As for the nodule, I'm meant to have a CT scan on the 4th of January and a biopsy to see what it's all about. She says not to worry as it's a small soft one and doesn't appear attached to the thyroid. Those are normally benign. Still... That lump is getting annoying! Makes swallowing difficult. She prescribed some Nexium tablets for the reflux, and told me to modify my diet; smaller portions (err... I don't eat lots!) don't eat too late and then go to bed, and cut out all causative foods and drinks, such as alcohol, coffee, soft drinks, spicy foods, chocolates... You know... The fun stuff that makes living worthwhile, especially during the holiday season!!! What a friggen BUMMER!!! :(

UPDATE:
After coming home and doing some online research about Nexium, I promptly brought it back to the chemist for a full refund. The laundry list of side-effects was scary, and some of the things I read online freaked me out! Also... I have had liver issues in my life, and it is contraindicated to people who have liver problems.
While we were at the chemist, one of the clerks approached us and asked what I was taking the Nexium for, to which I replied, "reflux". She told me of an all natural product that's safe for babies and elderly alike, and that has been in use in Germany and Switzerland for years. It's called Iberogast. She says her husband swears by it. Natural products? Plants and herbs? I'll buy that! So I did! I'll keep you guys posted about my progress.

7 comments:

  1. Hiya, I'm sorry to hear about the reflux and the nodule and especially the restricted diet. I hope the natural remedy makes a difference.

    Has your doc referred you to an endocrinologist about the Thyroid?

    Sending big (((((((Hugs))))))))) your way. xoxo

    Ariel

    ps I can relate to the diet restriction, I've been on bread and soup for nearly two weeks now. Still too painful to eat anything else. Am still very ill. I think we will be sending each other healing vibes for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Soulsis))) C also had problems with the first reflux med they gave her (caused more problems than she had almost!). The two things that a doctor told her that helped more than anything was to stay away from ALL caffeine (she drinks decaf drinks now, and has traded the chocolate in for yogurt peanuts and pretzels) and not to lay down on the sofa or bed at least 2 hours after eating. She has been able to add a few things back to her diet now in moderation, so don't give up hope! Please keep us posted about the thyroid issue.
    Hugs and healing to both you and Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bev,

    Thank you :) I hope that you and your family have a lovely Christmas and may 2012 bring much joy.

    (((Hugs)))

    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soulsis... Faerysis... OMG!! I can't believe it! That stuff REALLY works, and I mean totally! I was somewhat sceptical as to its potency, but I am now a believer.

    When I took the first dose, I immediately felt some relief... "Naaaah! Can't be true!" I thought. "Must be a placebo effect." Then the second dose... Even better. Then came the third and the fourth, and I was nearly back to normal. So much so, that I decided to test it to its limit. Last night, D and I had a nice spicy spaghetti with a glass of red wine, and chocolate for dessert... The deadly trio!!! I took the stuff right before dinner, and presto! No heartburn, no reflux, nothing!! Didn't belch all night, didn't have to sleep with two pillows, didn't have to go through the shenanigans I use to do try and find relief. Amazing!!! That's all I have to say. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a miracle drug to me! But just to be on the safe side, maybe you could just eat the "trouble" foods in moderation (rather than give them up altogether)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I plan to do so, soulsis... I just wanted to push it to the limit to see how good this stuff was, and it really is. :) It means I have my life back. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checked to see where I might find Iberogast here, and of course I found it at Amazon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)