Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Portrait is finished!

I dunno if any of you recall me mentioning a while back that I had rediscovered the joys of 2D art? (namely pens and pencils) While awaiting my Touch markers, I had started a pencil portrait to keep myself busy and entertained (as if I'm not busy enough already!) :) I finished it this afternoon. I was going to make a series of images surrounding the Celtic tree ogham, but I am just too overwhelmed by the magnitude of this project. If I do so, I might use another type of media; perhaps a combo of marker and coloured pencils. Pencils alone take up too much time! This rendition of Beith, the birch tree, took me over 40+ hours to finish! Birch is associated with new beginning and purification (a white calf) as well as nurturing (the cow). In the background, you can see the sunrise upon a new dawning day, and in the forefront, on one of the birch trees, is the Celtic ogham symbol for the birch.

Derwent Studio coloured pencils - 24cm (9½") diameter

5 comments:

  1. Zowie! That is the most beautiful rendition of Birch that I've ever seen. I know you've got tons of stuff going on right now, but I hope you continue to work on the ogham series (in between the times your muse prods you and cracks her whip!). Colored pencil work is time consuming, but it has such gorgeous results. Even if it takes years to finish, this would be such a lovely set...
    Glad to see your new "toy" box arrived - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you're making me feel really lazy now. ;) Yep, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bev
    Thanks soulsis! I dunno if I wanna keep going with this rather daunting project. I know it may take me years to finish, but after what I went through trying to finish that one, I'm not sure I wanna go on! So much bloody details... I wanna keep what's left of my eyesight! LOL!

    @ Carrie
    Thanks luv! Me?!?! Making you feeling lazy!?!?! OMG! Perish the thought. I'm the most lethargic person on this planet! It's only very recently that I've been overwhelmed with so many projects and activities. A few years back, I was stuck in a perpetual cycle of sleep and daytime coma! LO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply stunning!
    The details in the Birch trees and everything else is superb.
    Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks mum! :) Means a lot to me. It was a big tour-de-force, but it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)