Monday, September 19, 2011
I've just achieved a new personal record... I've managed to finish a project that would've normally taken me a week in only three days. I was pressed for time as this is a gift for a friend, and I am seeing her tomorrow. My friend has recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hands. My mum also suffered from painful joints all her life, and I remember her using Chinese baoding balls to help with the pain and promote circulation. Last weekend, I purchased some of these balls for my friend, but strangely enough, they didn't come with a box or container. So, I decided to make one up for her. I used the last bit of Queensland walnut I had left, and it was "just" enough. :) The yin/yang design is an inlay made of mother-of-pearl and sodalite. The lotus petals are painted with gold leaf paint, and the red circle is simple Touch Twin marker (love my markers!) :) Inside is a piece of styrofoam with two hollows cut out for the balls to sit neatly in. I've covered it with a piece of black velvet so it's clean and tidy. I used escutcheon nails to make it look like a little treasure chest. All in all, it ties in well with the colours and design, and it also makes it structurally stronger. Now, if you please excuse me while I go pass out of shear exhaustion.