Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fail?

I did say I was going to jinx myself to hell, and it appears I may have... The instrument isn't kicking it the way I want it to. It's been one issue after another, and I've seriously come close to throwing it against the wall more than once (yes... I have a temper!) After a few days coming to the realisation that I may have overshot my mark by a few light years, I am slowly reconsidering my options. Perhaps I can fix it, perhaps I can't, but one thing is for sure, I have learnt LOTS about acoustics and the physics involved. Folks... The next time you pick up a violin, a guitar or any other instrument, do take the time to inspect it carefully and notice all the weird little "add-ons" and doo-dads that may be involved in the productions (such as the reinforcing slats of woods inside a guitar)... They are there for a purpose! Also, when stringed instruments have a soundbox, the position in which the strings face and the way they are attached to the soundbox determines where the sound hole should be. Yes... This spike-fiddle has been a crash-course in sound physics and luthier apprenticeship. For the next few days, I'll attempt to "re-fiddle" it and see what happens. I've nicknamed this fiddle Keet (short for Lorikeet)... Look pretty but sounds horrible!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think it was worth it for everything you learned! It's always good to get a deeper appreciation for things. And I see I'm not the only one who stumbles along. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Soulsis))), I hope you find a way to fix it that won't make you bonkers in the process. And as CarrieBoo said, just think of it as a learning curve... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)