Sunday, June 26, 2011

Out of the frying pan...

And into the fire for me! My neck was feeling a bit better this morning, but I woke up with an itchy throat, sore eyes and a heavy head. Yup! Sound to me like I might have caught hubby’s latest cold lurgy. To think, I had just gotten over a bout of this crap! The cold/flu season in Australia is shocking this year! Oh well... Time to crack open a bottle of V8 juice and stop this thing dead in its track. For those of you who are struggling with a bad head cold or sinus congestion, here’s a cheap, natural and effective way of
clearing your head and nose, numbing the throat, stopping the chills and fever, and getting you back on your feet in no time.

Super Tomato Soup for Sickies

  • One cup of tomato juice (or you could use V8 like I do)
  • One or two crushed cloves of garlic (try to get the natural purple variety, not the bleached white crap from “you know where”. It’s just not as as effective nor healthy.)
  • One tablespoon of lemon juice
  • As much cayenne pepper, hot sauce, piri piri, or tabasco as you can handle

Put all the ingredients into a microwaveable mug, and warm it up until it is nice and hot but not boiling. Sip slowly and make sure you inhale some of those fumes. Keep a box of tissue handy... You’ll need it, believe me!!! The garlic has strong, natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. The lemon and tomato juices are high in vitamin C, and the cayenne pepper is diaphoretic (induces sweating) as well as a febrifuge (helps break a fever). It’s also a vasodilator and will help with circulation. Sip mugs of the stuff throughout the day, and keep it up for a few days after you feel you’ve improved to prevent a relapse. Don’t worry, it’s low cal, guilt-free and good for ya, so indulge.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're feeling pants (more pants). I didn't realize that about "white" garlic. Ooops. I am definitely going to try this the next time I get sick... it actually sounds quite tasty to me. Garlic and hot-ness. Oh yesss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks luv. I’m feeling a wee bit better today... I can actually manage to turn my head if I go slowly, and as for the sniffles, I sent them packing. That’s soup is excellent stuff! Tastes delish too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)