Friday, May 13, 2011

Busy-itis

Today was a gorgeous, sunny, blue sky day, and I decided to walk through our lovely park nearby. The air was crisp and clean, the wind was nice and cool, and the sun was warm and bright. I couldn’t stop grinning like an idiot. I felt happy, peaceful and connected to nature. Everywhere I went, it seemed to me that the trees were singing. I mentally sent out a small prayer; “Thank you for keeping our air clean.” I don’t think many people take the time to stop and feel grateful for all the good work that trees do for us, and I also don’t think many people actually thank them. Perhaps the trees did “feel” my gratitude, and in return, they sang a song of acknowledgement.

I wonder… Am I the only individual left in this world that still finds the time to slow down and enjoy the simple pleasure and beauty of our world? Am I the only one who chooses not to get stuck on the hamster wheel? Busy-itis seems to be the disease of the 21st century! Everyone is on a rat-race to get somewhere, to achieve something, or be someone. The “I-don’t-have-time-for-that-shit” attitude is in epidemic proportion throughout the world. The “busy-itis” disease eventually leads to the multitasking syndrome; more than one thing get lumped together in an attempt to achieve as much as possible in the little amount of time available in a day. This is typical of our consumerist, industrialised society; quantity before quality. And of course, the new hierarchy of priorities of the 21st century frowns upon anything that impedes the rat-race, i.e. having fun, slowing down, and connecting with one another. Too many times, I see parent’s talking on mobile phones with their kids tugging at the seams, screaming for attention in the shopping centre. Then there are the “pram-joggers”, going for their daily run with their kids in tow, running around the park and totally oblivious to their surrounding. I remember when I was a child and my mum and dad took us on a Saturday morning strolls down at the park. They weren’t chatting on phones, they weren’t “jogging” us around in a pram… They took the time to talk with us, to interact with us, to show us the beautiful flowers and the cute tiny ladybugs. There isn’t quality-time anymore… It’s a question of time-quantity! I’m not quite sure what everyone is racing so feverishly towards… Besides for an early grave due to stress! Me, I’m just glad to be a human-being, not a human-doing… And I’m glad I have these two adorable little munchkins to come home to.


I'm currently listening to

Clannad - Lore - Bridge (That Carries Us Over)

2 comments:

  1. I don't have much time for long walks these days, but I do try to "pause for the cause" (moments of sanity). The long drive to and from C's school goes through miles of farmland, so I'm lucky to see almost daily hawks flying and occasionally deer in the fields. The morning sun shining through the clouds with multiple beams, the red-headed woodpecker on the peanut feeder, etc. are all ways I reconnect and find peace. You sound like you're coming out of your blue funk, dear soulsis, and I'm so glad of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it’s important to find the time to stop, breathe and reconnect. Too many folks don’t, and then they wonder why they get sick!
    Yes... I do feel like I’m coming out of the storm. It’s nice to see that there’s a blue sky behind all those clouds. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment! :)